1903 Benjamin Franklin Swisher opened a law office
in Waterloo, Iowa. In 1922 Leo J. Cohrt joined the practice.
F. Swisher, Jr. joined the firm, which was then known as
Swisher, Swisher & Cohrt. Benjamin Franklin Swisher’s
son, Charles came to the firm in 1944. The Firm’s
name became Swisher, Cohrt, and Swisher. In 1968, the current
name, Swisher & Cohrt, was adopted. In 1973 the offices
moved from the Waterloo Building to the top floor of the
Waterloo Savings Bank Building. In 1983 the firm moved
to its current location, the remodeled former west branch
of the Waterloo Public Library. The Library building was
one of two
in Waterloo in 1905 with grant money given by Andrew Carnegie.
The building is listed on the National Register of Historic
Like the building that houses the firm, Swisher & Cohrt
has a long and distinguished history within the community
and the State of Iowa.